If you’ve been reading the 4-Hour Body, then you probably know that one of the techniques that can help you lose fat faster is to take cold showers. Cold showers burn fat in several ways:
- They stimulate your brown fat cells, helping the ones you have reproduce, work harder
- They cause your body to compensate for the loss of body heat through shivering and a higher metabolic rate.
But cold showers have many other benefits as well:
- They can help reduce or avoid depression.
- Improves circulation, which is good for overall cardiac health.
- Strengthens your immune system
- Increases testosterone and fertility.
Heck, even James Bond takes cold showers.
But how do you take a cold shower? If you just jump into cold water, you’ll be miserable. There’s a good technique that minimize the unpleasantness and actually maximizes the benefit you’ll get, because you’ll be able to stick with it better.
- Start with a normal, hot shower.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse normally.
- Soap up in the hot water.
- Then, turn the temperature to a low luke-warm. Nothing that you’d identify as cold, just neither cold nor warm.
- Rinse off in this low luke-warm water. This gives your body time to adjust to the temperature.
- Now, turn your back to the water.
- Turn the temperature down slightly, just a few degrees cooler.
- Wait about 30-40 seconds. You can count off one-one thousand, two-one thousand, or you can sing the ABCs.
- Repeat 7 and 8, as many times as you can. I can now go about 6 cycles of gradually reducing the temperature.
- I usually stop the cycle after my teeth start chattering while singing the ABCs.
The reason this process works is:
- You still get to enjoy a hot shower to start.
- You gradually reduce the temperature so that it is never an unpleasant shock.
- By the time the water temperature is getting really cold, your upper back and neck are already somewhat numb, so you hardly notice the temperature change.
- Using this method, you should easily be able to spend 5-6 minutes in an increasingly cold shower.
You’ll finish feeling invigorated and refreshed. Give it a try!