Robot Panelists, AI and the Future of Identity
Author & Researcher
The Digital Beyond
Bruce Duncan M Ed
Terasem Movement Foundation LifeNaut Project
- Rich Personal Data Store + Powerful AI = Virtual You
- If AI was advanced enough, it could start expressing its own opinion
- What will it take to create a sentient robot? Do we want to? And where are we in the process?
- Exponential development: each step gets bigger as you go up the stairs.
- Accelerating evolution of our tools.
- It took 400,000 years from fire to bronze. It took 6,000 years from bronze to an iphone in your pocket.
- is the state of AI today fire or bronze?
- We are going to approach the singularity.
- The moment that happens, we will be unable to see beyond. We will have people smarter than us. We can’t anticipate what they would do.
- Stephen Reed: Texai:
- A system you can teach useful things
- Robots are making inroads into the bluecollar workplace.
- AI makes inroads into whitecollar workplace.
- Create the mind of a child, and then educate it.
- We’ll see a demonstration of natural language
- Bruce Duncan
- has a robot that works for him: Bina48
- Goal with lifenaut is to archive human mind and upload into a robot
- Mindfiles & Androids
- Early mind uploading: cave paintings
- Human beings have a need to upload: to share what’s on their mind.
- Sum of all social media data can be used to reconstruct personality.
- Given a saturated datase or “mind file” that can be used by a future AI to be able to replicate your consciousness
- In the future, you will be expected to have an avatar that is not just off the shelf, but can interact with people and act as you in certain circumstances.
- Genes / Memes / Bemes
- Digital mindfiles capture bemes:
- What’s in it?
- digital video/photos
- blogs and diaries
- psych tests and lists
- Bainbridge surveys
- sensecam data
- feedback as others see me
- Terasem Hypothesis: In the future, these reanimated personalities will be able to be imported into biological, nano-technological, and/or robotic bodies.
- Bina48: first android based on a mindfile
- Q: Merging mind files?
- We made a science fiction film based on this: http://2bmovie.com/
- We have multi-user mind files: to recreate a historical person, or a deceased family member.
- Q: Did you have any children see Bina48 and how did they react?
- We had an 8th grade intern, and he just sat down and talked to Bina48. He wasn’t phased by the technology at all.
- Q: In layman’s terms, what is happening?
- We use Dragon Naturally Speaking to do voice to text conversion.
- We take the text input and feed into two databases.
- One is a chatty database
- One is a personality database
- They compete to provide the best answer.
- The sentences are stored in small pieces. She rarely gives the same sequence of sentences twice.